Entrevista: professor Steve Ford, Private English Portal (parte 4)

By Ana Luiza | Entrevistas em Inglês (áudio)

Dec 19
Inglês - Entrevista professor Steve Ford, Private English Portal (parte 4)

E aqui está a quarta e última parte da entrevista com o professor Steve Ford (ouça a Parte 1, a Parte 2 e a Parte 3). Eu coloquei a transcrição logo abaixo e você pode também baixar o mp3 e o
PDF. Aqui Steve responde mais uma pergunta sobre ensino de fonética nos cursos de inglês e dá seu conselho final aos brasileiros aprendendo inglês.

Baixe a parte 4 da entrevista em mp3

Baixe a transcrição da parte 4 em PDF

Se você ainda não conhece o trabalho do Steve, dê um pulo na seção Inglês em Vídeo e procure por Peppy nos títulos dos posts para ver os vídeos – ou acesse o site dele.

Ouça a quarta parte da entrevista aqui mesmo:

Transcrição da entrevista

(Ana) Yesterday I watched, yeah I watched the last few videos, the last few Peppy videos, I remember… I think it was 25?… Where you accidentally barged into, like, a photo shoot with a nude model, that was really funny. I was like, what’s going on? Is this a nude model? Wait, is this Steve’s video? You know, I got distracted for a moment, and when my eyes went back to the video… OK, what’s going on here? That was really funny.

(Steve) Great, I’m glad you liked it.

(Ana) So Steve, here’s another question that I got from Twitter. Aline is asking ‘Why aren’t phonetics and syllable division taught in English courses?’

(Steve) OK. In some English courses they are. For example, the student I was referring to (in part 3), who is now living in Toronto, he’s from Brazil… We were talking about this the other day, that in fact he did learn the phonetics and he also learned some strategies for learning how to pronounce closed and open vowel sounds in English. Why is it not taught in all courses? I have a few ideas, and, you know, after teaching English for seventeen years I think it’s because the language, the phonetic symbols… is almost like a completely different language. So, we’re teaching English and then, that’s already a challenge to teach to the students and when you have to use the phonetic alphabet… which, by the way, in different dictionaries, the phonetic alphabet can have variations… So it’s not necessarily a universal phonetic alphabet. So that has created some difficulty for teaching it. And I think that students perhaps are already trying to learn English so when they have to learn the phonetic alphabet, it’s too much. Yeah, I tried… I think that another problem is that there are so many exceptions with regard to phonetics and spelling rules in English that… teachers just don’t bother to do it, it’s too complicated. It’s a wonderful idea and I think it would be nice if they put accents above the word stress, just like they do in Portuguese. I think that would help students a lot. And, who knows? You wait, maybe in a future Peppy video I will start to do that.

(Ana) That would be fun to watch… You guys being funny with phonetics?

(Steve) Yeah, you throw me anything and I’ll try to make it funny.

(Ana) And, how about syllable division? Any comments?

(Steve) Syllable division? Clap your hands. I think that’s the best way to do it. As you are saying the word, clap your hands. If you’re saying ‘important’, just clap your hands: important, and you can clap the number of times… And that can help you, especially when using comparative adjectives, yeah.

(Ana) OK, very practical. Thank you. OK, I think one last question I always ask the person I am interviewing is… Any final tips to Brazilian students, to Brazilian people who are learning English? If you had to, if you could give them just one takeaway, what would it be?

(Steve) That it is very important to have fun learning English. My wife is reminding me of one thing, that actually the part about clapping your hands and the syllables and all of that… is actually going to be in Peppy 28.

(Ana) OK.

(Steve) So, sorry, your question was about…

(Ana) Any final tips that… if you had to give only one tip, one final tip to Brazilian learners, particularly… having known Brazil…

(Steve) OK. Yes, Brazilians, listen up! Brazilians, you can do it. You can learn English. And my two pieces of advice for you are, first, try to learn English and love it. Try to associate English with things that you like. If it’s watching television programs and movies, fantastic. Listening to music, and trying to understand the lyrics, or the words of the song, great. You can do that too. It is important to have a little bit of discipline. I know a lot of people hate grammar. I know many students don’t even like Portuguese grammar in terms of studying it. But it is important to have some grammar to give you some structure and some self-confidence when you’re speaking. I think it’s important to have a balance of discipline and love, yes.

(Ana) Thank you Steve, that was great advice.

(Steve) Yeah, I mean that from the bottom of my heart, you know. I think that… And Brazilians have so much potential, they’re such risk-takers, they know how to take risks and when learning a
language, I mean, that’s fundamental you know? Like you’re willing to make mistakes.

(Ana) Thank you. Well everybody, that’s all for today. This was Ana, from inglesonline.com.br talking to Steve Ford. Again, his page on YouTube is youtube.com/privateenglishportal. And you also have your own website, right Steve?

(Steve) That’s right.

(Ana) Do you wanna say the URL?

(Steve) Sure, yes. You can actually go to either privateenglishportal.com or, if you don’t want to type that much you can go to mypeppy.com so, yeah…

(Ana) That’s easy. OK, that’s m-y-p-e-p-p-y dot com.

(Steve) That’s right, that’s right. M, y, p as in Peter, e, p as in Peter, p as in Peter, y dot com.

(Ana) Excellent. Thank you once again Steve, and…

(Steve) You’re welcome, it was my pleasure.

(Ana) Hope to keep watching your funny videos.. and say hello to Leda.

Esperamos comentários!

• Und noch dazu mmit dir aktiv іm Kontakt ist.

• balint says:

Oi, se voce precisar de um site para hospedar e compartilhar seus arquivos, visite o http://Minhateca.com.br é um site de armazenamento e compartilhamento de arquivos com espaço ILIMITADO e totalmente gratuito! Sem tempo de espera ou qualquer restrição, download ilimitado e super rápido – 100% GRATIS!

• Jose says:

I really love to hear this kind of interview, it was so good and i can improve my English slkills…

• North West says:

When you turn up at your hotel, especially if the genital HPV does not affect
    her baby but makes her uncomfortable. It has been robbed.
    Discounts are available for people wanting a set of three or more great info at the Kardashians, there’s a huge
    Soft-sided luggage, such as hand lotion, sunscreen, etc.
    , are considered pretty rude in alternative nations.

• Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog so i came to go
    back the want?.I’m attempting to in finding things to improve my site!I suppose its good enough to make use of some of your ideas!!

• I actually think this specific post , “Entrevista: professor Steve Ford, Private English Portal (parte 4) — Inglês Online”, highly engaging not to mention the blog post ended up being a remarkable read.
    I appreciate it,Bessie

• Lays says:

I do not know anything I want to learn English you can encinar me?

• Gerson Carvalho Santos says:

Ana, congratulations!
    The way you head this blog is so creative and special. My English is improving more and more. I’d like to make a question: In the intervew with Steve, did he speak slow intentionally?

• Sidney Franco says:

Hi Ana Luiza
    Ana Luiza Hi

Hi Ana Luiza
    Ana Luiza Hi

A path, a way, a tip all the day
    many words say
    here and around all over the world

Hi Ana Luiza
    Ana Luiza Hi

Hi Ana Luiza
    Ana Luiza Hi …

• I’ll immediately snatch your rss feed as I can’t to find your email
    subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you
    have any? Kindly permit me recognize in order that I may just subscribe.
    Thanks.

• Arthur Dyago says:

Adoreii *-* morro de inveja de vc ana luiza kkkkkkkkkkkk
    continue o otimo trabalho ^^

• NILSON GONDIM says:

PREZADA ANA

NAO SEI NAO, A ENTREVISTA FICOU MEIO CONFUSA QUANTO A SUA CONOTAÇÃO
    EU ENTENDI MUITO MAIS O SR. STEVE FALANDO .
    ELE FALA DE MANEIRA CLARA E PAUSADA QUANTO QUE VOCE, MEIO RAPIDO
    SE EU DISSER QUE ENTENDIR VC FALANDO ESTARIA MENTINDO, MAS PODE SER QUE SEJA EU,
    QUE SEJA O MEU INGLES, VC FALOU TAO RAPIDO, NÃO LEMBROU QUE AS PESSOAS
    QUE ESTÃO OUVINDO NAO POSSUI O INGLES SUFICIENTE PARA ENTENDELA, E COMO SE VC ESTIVESSE FALANDO SÓ PARA ELE, E NÃO SE IMPORTASSE COM OS MILHARES DE PESSOAS DE VARIOS NIVEIS OUVINDO, JÁ O SR. STEVE SOUBE DOSAR DE MANEIRA QUE FICOU CLARO SUA PRONUNCIA E E NA VELOCIDADE CERTA. ELE NAO ESTAVA FALANDO PARA VC OUVIR E SIM PARA TODOS INDEPENDENTE DE SEU NIVEL NO INGLES. EU GOSTEI MUITO DE OUVILO ELE PASSOU UMA SIMPLICIDADE UMA HARMONIA
    NO JEITO DE FALAR, BOM DE OUVIR E FACIL DE ENTENDER, JÁ NAO POSSO DIZER O MESMO DE VC NESTA ENTREVISTA.
    PODERIA ME RESPONDER POR QUE TIVE TANTA DIFICULDADE DE ENTENDER SUA PRONUNCIA E A DELE NÃO.

Nelson, cada pessoa fala de um jeito, com uma velocidade e etc. As dicas e entrevistas gratuitas não são feitas para um nível específico. Algumas são para intermediário, outras para pré-inter, outras para avançado. Não há velocidade “certa” ou “errada”. A maneira como eu falei foi mais próxima da velocidade de nativo. A razão pela qual vc entendeu o Steve é que ele falou + pausado e de maneira clara. A razão pela qual vc não me entendeu é que eu falei + rápido e de maneira natural (+ próxima a nativo). Recomendo que vc leia a série de dicas “Como Falar Inglês”, cujo link está na barra lateral, e coloque em prática aquelas dicas o melhor que puder.

• Vim hoje aqui especialmente para agradecer a vocês pelo belo trabalho que vêm desenvolvendo no ensino do idioma inglês. E em especial agradecer à Ana por todos os emails que me envia. Gratíssima a todos!

• Carlos says:

I loved it. I hope you get other interview with another expert in inglish, de preferencia nativo. Cheers!

• Julio Junior says:

Olá Ana, quero lhe dar os parabéns pelo seu trabalho, ja vi muita coisa na internet, inclusive cursos a distância que nem se comparam com a sua metodologia de ensino, adorei suas aulas com audio estou melhorando bastante minha pronuncia.

Ainda tenho muito a evoluir !! espero poder contar com você …

Abraço.

Obrigada, Julio :) Fico super feliz de saber. Aproveite bem o site e continue aparecendo pelos comentários.

• joire says:

Our Ana, Fantastic, will be that one I will arrive there. I liked very.
    Joire.

• Adevaldo says:

Hi Ana ! I am a follower yours and I get surprised always when I am here seeing your pods and english tips. I do not know how you do to have enough time to do all of it. you are too much thank you for all… lord bless you dear…..

• Cristina says:

Oi Ana, tenho muita dificuldade no inglês, quando tento falar trava a minha voz e não consigo.. você pode me ajudar? não sei pronunciar o Inglês..

• Richard Skeff Seba Caldas says:

Parabéns, Ana Luiza!
    Acessei hoje e, achei maravilhosa tua pronúncia e, a escrita!
    Espero aprender muito contigo.
    Forte abraço.
    Richard

• Francisco José de Brito says:

Olá, Ana Luiza! estrevista desse tipo, nos faz aguçar os ouvidos e, consequentemente, facilita o aprendizado. Porque é ouvindo que se aprende.

Grande abraço!

• dIOGO says:

Congratulation for you that done this website, it has a excellent contents and it’s very easy fallow the dialogs between both.
    I bough a online course english and the mater it’s so similar with this. I hope that other people could know it too and have the opportunity listen and improve your english speak.

• GABRIEL says:

Hi Ana Luiza, how are you? I´d like to thank your for posting many nice interviews with the teacher Steve. Is he a native speaker? When I heard you once, I thought you were an american, your pronunciation is really good.It´s been two that I teach English, and I also teach LINGUISTICS… so congratulations!!!

• AGUINALDO RODRIGUES TEIXEIRA says:

HELLO!ANA
    JA CONCLUI O SEGUNDO MODULO DE INGLES,MAS PAREI,DE ONDE DEVO COMEÇAR.AGUINALDO.

• kleber says:

estou começando a estudar inglês agora,e fico animado em encontrar este site,acredito que irá ajudar muito no meu crescimento com a lingua.

• Guilherme says:

Hey Ana Luiza !

Hey Ana !

I’m here to tell that your website is amazing, and I’m telling for all my friends about it, because i’m think that’s so important for new english students know this website. And actually your podcast are the better ones.

So that’s it !

Congratulations.

• jessica says:

ola tudo bem acabei de ver o seu site eu gostei muito vou começar a ovir por gentileza me envia qualquer coisa nova que tiver de novo no site ok . muito obrigado pela atenção .

Hi everyone!! Glad to see lots of people benefiting from this interview to this day.

Hey Charles! Vc entende bem essa entrevista? Então veja bem se vc precisa do Curso (lembre-se q ele começa do zero e chega num pré-inter mais ou menos)

• Charles Mendes says:

Very Very good!

muito bom essa entrevista com o Steve Ford, estou praticando diariamente o listening, e sinto melhora!!!!

Parabéns Ana, logo mais irei começar o seu curso !

• aparecida brandao says:

parabens!
    adorei e ouvir todos as partes.
    xau!!!!

• Hello, Ana.

My congrats for your nice website.
    I’m a teacher and that’s really cool for me and my students.

Cheers.

• thiago says:

Muito legal!! ouvi todas as partes!!!

Esse site está me ajudando muito!!!
    VALEU ANA!!!

Oi Aletéia, legal! Meu curso – você quer dizer as dicas do site, não? Aproveite mesmo, e ouça bastante o áudio do curso de inglês que vc estiver fazendo… Bye!

• Aletéia says:

já começei meu curso de inglês básico…
    e com o seu site estopu melhorandhuuuuuuuuu Thank you!
        xauu

• Aletéia says:

há… e ana eu gostei muito do seu curso!!!!bem legal!PaRaBéNs!!!!

• Aletéia says:

nossa ingles é moleza o que me falta é um pouco mais de vontade de pronunciar o inglês!!eu sou tão meia molenga de pronunciar o inglês que sempre quandhu eu entro em algum site em inglês eu procuro a definição da palavra no google tradutor do inglês para o português!!!kkk

• DAYANE says:

OI EU TENHO 11 ANOS E EU TENHO AULAS DE INGLES TODAS AS QUARTAS MAIS AINDA TENHO DUVIDAS DAS COISAS,EM INGLES ANA ME AJUDE PORFAVOR MEU MSN É [email protected] VC ME ADD E ME AJUDE PORFAVOR OK

• Marco Brainiac says:

Hi Ana,

I´m appreciating your fantastic job more once.

I don’t get so well “takeaway” I’ve looked for in online dictionary but I can’t find.

“to Brazilian people who are learning English? If you had to, if you could give them just one TAKEAWAY, what would it be?”

• Janes says:

Hi Ana.
    It was a great interview.
    I hear it and later I read the transcription. I found a way to practice more.
    I’m waiting for more articles.
    and one more time, congratulations. You making a wonderful job!

Hi everyone! Thanks for commenting.

Tati – ouça também os podcasts, acho que você vai gostar.

• Tati Santiago says:

Hiiii
    Ameeeeei este site!! Estou de férias no meu curso de inglês( terminei o básico 1) e estava procurando alguma coisa legal na internet que pudesse me ajudar,alguma dica,mas este site,as entrevistas são muuito mais que isso. Parabéns pelo excelentee trabalho!

• Vinicius says:

gostei muito espero ver mais dessa entrevistas

• Vinicius says:

O.oo eu gostei muitoo espero ver mais dessas entrevistas

• Rodrigo says:

I liked the interview!

Congratulations!

• Robson says:

Congratulations on your efforts to help people better understand English language. As a teacher, I must say it’s a very good job, indeed, and you must keep doing this.  Congrats again!

• Luan says:

I loved this site so much. It’s easy to understand. This site was all I was looking for.

thanks

• walter says:

Olá Ana,estou na minha primeira aula do curso.gosto desta forma solta e pratica que voce adota neste curso. Parabéns!!    Walter

Everyone, thank you for commenting.

Fico super feliz de saber que essas entrevistas são legais pra tanta gente.

• Marlene says:

I Ana, I´m enjoing very much to listen yours podcasts and the interviews with teacher Steve.

• FABIO says:

HI ANA, I LIKED VERY MUCH THIS COMMENT, I HOPE LEARN EVERYDAY WITH YOURS.THANKS

• Aparecids MARIA says:

agravaçaão esta muito ruim não da para entender nada

• Gabi says:

Ana, first of all, your site is incredable, I really apriciate your interview. It is easy to understand Mr. Steve. I will keep snoping here. I should say that your accent is very very good.

• Aline Gabriele says:

I loved it.
    It’s easy to understand. I’m starting to learn english but I understand the biggest part of the interview.
    Thank you!

• Gisele says:

Adorei a entrevista.
    O site é ótimo e você também Ana Luiza. Parabéns!

Hi Suzi, wish you great studies…

• Suzi says:

Hello Ana Luiza! Congratulations for this site. I’ve been studying by myself and you have helped too much. Kisses.

• Marcio says:

It was great to listen about the clap my hands. I’m doing that every single I am trying to speak, you know, to get the syllable divsion properly. As I said before I liked to much to get here today. It was very important to me to listen to you guys. Thanks so much. Keep going with this job.

Oi Graziele, eu entendo. Mas no momento não dá pra colocar em português. Quem sabe futuro?

• Graziele says:

Olá. Eu gostei muito das entrevistas, só que eu queria a tradução delas também em português.
    Grata.

Oi kelen! Obrigada, fico feliz de saber. Não se esqueça de se inscrever no e-curso gratuito (sobre o que fazer para FAlar Inglês) Está lá na home page. Para vc que está começando, vai ser ótimo.

• kelen alves do nascimento says:

quero dar parabens pra Ana Luiza por que estou adorando este site, começei fazer ingles agora, e estou louca pra aprender rapido, fico o dia todo aqui.