Como falo em inglês: Que a gente vai fazer hoje?

Hey, everyone. Nesse episódio do podcast Inglês Online eu vou falar sobre algumas expressões em inglês com a palavra TAP.

Para ver e ouvir podcasts de semanas anteriores, clique em Podcast Inglesonline na barra lateral. Baixe os podcasts no seu aparelho Android com o aplicativo Inglês Online; ou assine os podcasts usando o aplicativo Podcasts para iPhone e iPad. Você pode também assinar o feed do podcast ou encontrá-lo no iTunes (veja o menuzinho ali ao lado). Enjoy!

Baixe o mp3

Baixe o PDF

Inglês: What's on tap for today?Hello! How have you all been? Today we have a new episode of the inglesonline podcast. Please subscribe to this podcast using the Podcasts app for iPhone or iPad, or listen to the episodes using the Inglesonline Android app. To download or just listen to other episodes and download transcripts, go to inglesonline.com.br and click Podcast Inglesonline.

Let’s begin with an expression that shouldn’t be completely new to those who have been religiously following all the Inglesonline posts. So here it is: What’s on tap for today? Take a look at the picture on the right: that’s a tap and… let’s say that’s a very dark beer. So that’s beer on tap, or beer that comes out of a tap. You can also have bottled beer, of course, which is, I guess, the popular way to get beer in Brazil – beer in bottles or cans. So, back to the picture – that’s a tap and beer’s coming out of it.

So taken literally this question could mean something like “What kind of beer do we have today?” or something like that. However, “What’s on tap for today?” is also used informally to ask “What’s on the schedule for today?” What’s the plan for today? What are we having? What’s happening today? What’s on tap for today?

Here are a few examples I found on Twitter: someone asked “What’s on tap for the birthday celebration?”, obviously referring to some… birthday celebration. One other person tweeted out “Here’s a taste of what’s on tap for this coming Saturday”, followed by a link to a YouTube video. And someone else posted “Let’s discuss what’s on tap”. So here’s my question to you, our listener: What’s on tap for today? What do you have planned for today? Or tomorrow! Please let us know in the comments what you got on tap for today or tomorrow.

And let me take the opportunity to present, for those of you who aren’t familiar with it, another very common way to use the word TAP. Here’s something we do all the time: we tap someone on the shoulder. Yeah – in Portuguese we might say “dar uma batidinha no ombro”, right? Tap someone on the shoulder, or give someone a tap on the shoulder. You spot that person you’ve been meaning to have a chat with, they can’t see you ’cause they’re facing the other way, and you walk up to them and give ‘em a tap on the shoulder. They turn around, and see you. Why did they turn around? Because you tapped them on the shoulder.

Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I tapped someone on the shoulder. What I usually do when I see someone I’d like to talk to, and they haven’t seen me, is… I call their name. Yeah, I usually don’t walk up to them and tap them on the shoulder. I guess I don’t want to startle them so, usually, I won’t tap anyone on the shoulder. What about you?

Let us know in the comments, and talk to you next time!

• What’s on tap for today?
  • tap someone on the shoulder

a taste of = um gostinho do (algo que está por vir)

you’ve been meaning to (do something) = você queria ( fazer algo); você está/estava com a intenção de (fazer algo)

facing the other way = olhando para o outro lado

startle someone = assustar alguém (tocando a pessoa de repente, abrindo a porta de repente, etc)

Este quiz contém a expressão What’s on tap for today?, além de outras expressões com tomorrow e yesterday.

Comments

1. Marivan says:

Ana, ñ vou comentar sobre este podcast mas o anterior: Qando ouvia ou quando lia LET IT BE automaticamente vinha a traduçao em minha cabeça de DEIXA ACONTECER tipo: deixa rolar e ñ deixar pra lá :)… Ah, eu consigo entender seus podcasts mas um podcast de um nativo principalmente “britanico” ou fico um pouco voando :( . SUA VOZ É O MÁXIMO, SUAS RISADAS TAMBEM :) -See you on podcasts.

2. Marivan says:

De volta… rsrs bem, só pra dizer que seria muito legal Ana se vc conseguisse uma(s) entrevista(s) com nativos, mas nativos da queles que “nunca estiveram em contato com a lingua portuguesa”. Acho que isso seria muito muito legal principalmente pra quem estuda de forma analítica e tenta se inspirar (pronúncias e sotaques), que vc(s) acha? SEE YOU

3. Jacinto says:

Today, I’m doing many things and I’m moving barefeet. First, I went to pay my electricity bill. Second, I went to some bank to send some money abroad, but I couldn’t make it, coz the bank sistem was off. Then, I went to another bank to put my salary into my bank account. After this, I went to the school I work to fetch my Laptop, coz it stood there, downloading some thing all the night. and then I met with a friend to receive my External HD that gave to him yesterday to send me some Tv series. And after this, I got to a ciber cafe were I’m standing now, repairing some guy laptop operative sistem, He let me use their internet and I find myself now, commenting your podcast, wich I noted from my facebook account. UFFA! I never commented so much in my life! See you next time, Ana.

4. Jennifer says:

Hi,Ana!Well, today was just a ordinary day:a lots of things to do,but nothing special.Tomorrow will be friday and then I’ll go out with my husband,like we used to do every single friday,thanks God.That’s we got on tap for tomorrow.What about you?Kisses!!!

5. Hi there!! so…. today was a day like any other. I went to the job (or work?) by the morning.. and after, at nigth, to the college. And.. despite today be friday, after class I going to home because i have tons of things to study and i guess this weekend won’t be enough… because this I’ll go sleep early for don’t miss any minute tomorrow. So… this is what I got on tap for tomorrow: studing and studing and studing a bit more. And… Ana, I have a question.. why did you use “You spot that person…” and then “they can’t see you”. I think it’s a bit strange. It wouldn’t be another pronoun?

6. Rodrigo says:

Hi Ana, how are you doing? I hope you are enjoing London.

So, I have a question. When someone ask me: what’s on tap for today? Can I answer this way? I have a party on tap.

Thanks

7. Sadae says:

Hello Ana,
    I’m enjoying a lot the podcast, I begun to read it last week. I didn’t know it until then.
    I loved your way to explain , your voice , everything is so amazing !
    I’ve listened the podcast “How did you learn English” more than ten times !
    Sadae.

8. Débora says:

Today I’m going to study English and take care of my girl.

9. Marcelo says:

To tap someone on the should sounds a little bit offensive in my opinion. I’d rather to call the people’s name as you said.

10. The expression “what’s on tap for today” sounds very similar to “what are you up to? At least it was what I could understand.
    Thank you for the amazing job done.

11. I have a lot of things to do tomorrow.

Thank you Ann, for your classes; by the way I love your podcasts too.