Como digo em inglês: Não é tão ruim assim

Jan 19
Como digo em inglês Não é tão ruim assim

Hi!

Hoje o podcast é sobre estas aqui: “Fácil falar, mas fazer…” e “Não é tão ruim/alta/bom assim…”

What’s up? I’m doing fine here, ’cause I’m recording this podcast and that’s always fun to do. OK, a very short introduction today: I’m gonna talk first about a very common phrase, and then the next topic will be how to use the word THAT in a way that is not usually in the books. Oh, and this is Inglesonline podcast.

So let’s get right into it: You know when someone tells you to do something, and he or she talks about it like it’s something easy to do… but in reality, it’s not that easy? For example, let’s say you’re having problems at the office. Let’s say one of your coworkers, Bob, has been snooping around your desk. Let’s say Bob has been stealing some of your ideas, and presenting them to the boss as if they were his ideas.

So you tell your friend Jane about Bob. You tell her “I have this coworker, Bob, and he’s been stealing my ideas!” And your friend Jane knows what to do. She thinks this problem is really easy to solve. She says “You should catch Bob in the act! Actually, you should confront him about stealing your ideas. Better yet, you should talk to him in the presence of your boss, and make him admit he’s stolen your ideas!” And you say “Well, Jane, thanks, but that’s easier said than done. Bob’s father is the CEO of the company. So exposing the CEO’s son as a thief might not be the smartest career move”.

So, Jane’s suggestion? That you just catch Bob in the act, that you just tell the boss about what Bob’s been doing? That’s easier said than done. Easier said than done. Jane’s ideas are great. They sound great, but you think they’re easier said than done. It’s like we say in Portuguese “Falar é fácil…”. So Jane thinks you’re a fool, she thinks you’re a pushover because Bob is taking advantage of you and you’re not doing anything about it. But you know it’s not as easy as it seems. Jane’s ideas? They’re easier said than done.

And here’s another example: let’s say your friend Michael just lost his job and you are trying to cheer him up. You say “Hey, I’m sure you’re gonna be working again in no time. Just start sending out your resume and before you know it, you’ll have more job offers than you can count.” Well, your friend Michael doesn’t think it’ll be that easy. He says “Yeah, that’s easier said than done.”

And by the way… let me go back to what I just said: your friend doesn’t think it will be that easy. What does that mean?

Well, picture this: two people go to a bakery and they’re looking at the pies, and they see a beautiful chocolate pie. They each buy a slice and eat it. Then, one of them says “This is the best chocolate pie I have ever eaten! I can’t believe how good this is. It’s amazing!” And the other one says “Hey, cool it with the pie… it tasted OK, but it was not that good!” So he thought the pie was OK, but it wasn’t that good. It wasn’t that amazing. In other words, he thinks his friend is exaggerating. The pie didn’t taste that good. In Portuguese we say something like “Não era tão boa assim”. It wasn’t that good.

A few more examples:

• My friend is crazy about a TV show about monsters and supernatural stuff. She loves it. I think that show is OK, but I don’t think it is that good. I think it’s just OK.
  • I went to a restaurant the other day with a friend and she hated it. Me? I didn’t love it, but it wasn’t that bad either.
  • My sister is tall.. she’s taller than me, but she’s not that tall.
  • One company advertised their product saying that it was a great product, which it really was, and that it was very cheap. Well, when I asked them further questions I found out the product wasn’t that cheap, in reality, since I would have to pay for lots of extras. What else…
  • Someone asked me if I got stuck in traffic for hours yesterday. I said that there was some traffic, but it wasn’t that bad.

So this is an easy one to find examples for: tell us about something that people think is awful, but you disagree. You don’t think it is that bad.

Talk to you next time!

• easier said than done
  • not that bad, not that good

let’s get right into it = vamos direto ao assunto

snooping around your desk = bisbilhotando na sua mesa de trabalho

catch Bob in the act = pegar o Bob no flagra

Better yet = Melhor ainda (usado no começo da frase)

it’s not as easy as it seems = não é tão fácil quanto parece

cheer him up = deixá-lo pra cima

cool it with the pie = relaxa o entusiasmo com a torta

• Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long)
    so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m
    thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new
    to everything. Do you have any suggestions for rookie blog writers?
    I’d genuinely appreciate it.

• […] result, so you are hesitating. And this person wants to encourage you because he or she knows that it’s not that difficult or that the end result will be good, so they say “Give it a shot!” Come on, give it a […]

• […] and useful idiomatic expression when you want to express that you don’t think something is that big of a deal, when you don’t think something is that serious. You may say “Hey, this […]

• Veronica says:

Hi, Ana… Let me tell you my exemple

A friend of mine told he got the job of his dreams and he could work in the place for the rest of his life without starting hating it. So months ago I got a job in the same place and I didn’t like, so I think my friend should just cool it with the office ‘cause it’s not that good.

Thanks a lot for this podcast, it’s amazing! (:

• Camila says:

I my opinion in the most of the time that one person is outside the situation the advice is easer than done. I think it’s very common happen in our lifes, because we always think that’s easy to solve the problem the other people.

• Camila says:

Very nice podcast! I my opinion in the most of the time that one person is outside the situation the advice is easer than done. I think it’s very common to happen in our lifes, because we always think that’s easy to solve the problem the other people.

• rogério says:

To study english 30 minutes every day ? It’s easier said than done, but it’s not that bad.

• emilia says:

Ola Ana
    seus posts sao o maximo mt obrigada.
    Tem me ajudado mt ate a proxima

• Renata de França says:

Ana,
    Very nice job!
    Congratulations one more time.
    Some people doesn´t like studying English at all, usually can´t stand it, cause for them studying English is boring and difficult, but, in my opinion it´s not that bad.
    I´ve heard many people saying that learning English: that´s easier than done.
    Sorry by mistakes. =/
    Thanks.

• Daniel says:

It´s my first time downloading this podcast and I really aprecciate to listen to podcasts. Specially this one is too good and I´ll try to keep listening the other ones!

• wellington says:

Hi Ana,

So I checked it again, and now I’ve found 10 episodes there, I don’t know what happened. This episode is not shown there, but forget about it, it’s better to come here and listen to it.

By the way, your podcast is awesome, keep it up!

Hi wellington.
    No, all the episodes should appear on iTunes.

Maybe itunes shows only the latest 5 episodes -is that the problem? Right now, I would’nt know how to fix that…

• wellington says:

Awesome podcast.
    I tried to download it on iTunes store but it showed only 5 episodes. What happend, did you stop to put podcasts on iTunes store?

By the way, I thought it would be awful to not download your podcasts there but I realized it won’t be that bad, because I can download it here.

Hi everyone,

Great examples!!!

Alysson – yes, maintaining an exercise (or running) routine is certainly easier said than done..

Diogo – I agree – I think waking up early isn’t THAT bad… but it depends on how late I went to bed.

Glauciene – working at home isn’t that bad either (but it’s easier said than done)

Gustavo – EPIC é uma gíria, como “demais”, fantástico, show de bola

• Domires says:

Your dedication is always save me. Congratulations!

• Gustavo Costa says:

Alguem poderia me dizer o significado da palavra “epic”  pois muito falam isso e eu nao sei oq ue significa

• Tatiane says:

My friend says that she doesn’t like to read,but I think it not that bad!

• Henry Akashi says:

My mom keep telling me and I also think so, it’s time to looking for a Master’s Degree, but people think it’s just signing papers and begin the classes. Now I decided to do, I noticed that it’s easier said than done.

• VejaBlog
    Seleção dos Melhores Blogs/Sites do Brasil!

Parabéns pelo seu Blog!!!
    [Inglês Online]

Você está fazendo parte da maior e melhor
    seleção de Blogs/Sites do País!!!
    – Só Sites e Blogs Premiados –
    Selecionado pela nossa equipe, você está agora entre
    os melhores e mais prestigiados Blogs/Sites do Brasil!

O seu link encontra-se no item: Blog

– Os links encontram-se rigorosamente
    em ordem alfabética –

Pegue nosso selo em:

Um forte abraço,
    Dário Dutra

…………………………………………………………..

• Carlos says:

Ana I saw a poster advertising saying that you can learn English very quickly just watching some classes:EASIER SAID THAN DONE.

• Jane says:

Congratulations, Ana!
    I´m learn a lot here.

Thank you!

• Glauciene says:

Hello Ana!

Well, I have a publicist friend that don’t like to work at the office all the time. She likes to make meeting out the office and work in home sometimes. I work at the office all day and I think that is not that bad.

That’s it!

Take care!

And one more time, congratulations!

• Arthur Rocha says:

i finally found out a complete site, congratulations.

• Caio says:

Easier said THEN done??

• Diogo Souza says:

People generally say that don´t like to wake up early,but i think it isn´t that bad.

• alysson says:

Hey Ana
    a lot of people think that run everyday is easy,but as far as i know this require much discipline, effort and mainly initiative.That’s easier said than done

by

• Rogerio says:

Hi Ana,
    Let me tell you my example:

Once, a friend was crying,then I approached and asked: What’s the matter? She said: My boyfriend broke up with me. I told her to lift her head and move on, It wasn’t that bad. And she said: That’s easier said than done.
    I guess it wasn’t a good advice. rsrs

• Camila Buturi says:

People always says that learning english is very hard, actually is not that hard, especially with you Ana Luiza.
    You speak so naturally.
    Love your posts!

• Hi Ana. Thanks for the post. Some people think that learn English on line is awful, but I desagree. In fact, I’m loving to learn English this way.

• Jair says:

Very nice post! You have a cute voice!
    I am bad in English, but I am not that bad…

Ebooks com áudio 40% off